Friday, June 13, 2014

To the 20 somethings almost or just barely 30 somethings...

To the 20 somethings, almost to be 30 something's or even you almost 40 something's......you know who you are...

We are the group of people that should be well on their way down a career path or at least have an idea of a career path, home owners, family growing, life somewhat figured out people. No longer fresh out of college world at your feet pie in the sky kids. To what appears to be the majority of my friends... I'm so very happy for you, truly I am.

 To the people who look at a 27 almost 28 year old person or couple that isn't at that point yet, and asks the seemingly innocent questions: so when are you going to have kids?, the biological clock is ticking, think you are going to ever buy a house? when are you going to pick a career? To those people who look at all my friends and think, they obviously are doing what they should be doing what is socially considered normal at such an age... why aren't you.

I know you might just want to make conversation, I know you might generally be concerned and care. But please stop.

  I'm 27 years old, still working in the childcare setting as I have for the past decade, living with my husband in my parents basement. I have NO clue what I want to do with my life, I just know it's not what I'm doing currently. I have college debt, and credit card debt from said college life, car loan, and my husband is paying over 1000 dollars a class for a masters degree with more loans. All this on my daycare ran, private school, zero benefits teachers salary. I'm not complaining, we always have what we need when we need it. My husband is doing a great job and the fact that we can stay with my parents is a HUGE blessing.

I am well aware that I'm' the minority when it comes to children, and dogs, and fenced in yards you really don't have to remind me that a big scary clock is ticking I battle that old friend called envy and worry daily.

The thought of having the money to make a house payment or a down payment on a house isn't even fathomable to me. The thought of the loan that goes with such a endever makes my head spin.  So no I have no idea if we will ever buy a house, though I like to think so and I dream about it often.

You mean well, you care for me, but whats so wrong with what we are doing? The path God has lead us down? Who are you to compare my choices and situations and circumstances to anyone elses? Yes, my friends are all at different stations in life, and just because I don't appear to have what they appear to have doesn't mean I'm not right where I'm suppose to be right where God has placed us. It doesn't mean I'm not happy and complete. No, my life isn't perfect but I'm willing to bet you neither is anyone elses.

To the 20 somethings almost 30 somethings that are still in limbo, that have been for near a decade..it's OKAY you are not alone, and you're in the perfect position to go out and live LIFE. Take chances follow whims, be bold, have adventures, see the world and most importantly embrace what God has given you, and enjoy the freedom that comes with having no clue what you are going to do next. Because one day at a time, in HIS time God will get you to where you need to be.

So before you ask your single friend when they will get married or before you ask a young couple when they are going to have kids,  even if you are just curious stop long enough to think about the fact that maybe God hasn't gotten them to that point yet, maybe they are trying and can't and you could rip open a barely healed hurt. Conversation is one thing, asking about privet life altering decisions are another thing. Instead ask how the day went at work, ask how classes are going, what book you have read recently that you liked. Ask them what blessings God has placed in their lives recently. Inquire about a dream they have. Don't hold anyone EVER to the media saturated social norms of the time. People were not created to be the same, to be normal especially true believers.

"We were made for so much more then ordinary lives....we were made to Thrive." ~Casting Crowns~

Have a Happy day no matter where you are in this crazy thing called life!!

Sincerely,
A 27 year old individual.


No comments:

Post a Comment